Migrating a Business to Linux — 17
I work at a small mom-and-pop business. We make do with a typical small business budget. As might be expected, computer hardware is pushed to the limit before replacing.
Here is a short list of the systems we migrated from Windows 7 to Ubuntu MATE 16.04. For certain, nothing is bleeding edge.
- Panasonic Toughbook CF-52F
- Dell Studio 1735
- Toshiba Satellite C55D-A5146
- Toshiba Satellite C55D-B5242
- Toshiba L745
- ECS EliteGroup NF650iSLIT-A motherboard with NVidia NV44 GeForce 6200 TurboCache
- ECS EliteGroup NF650iSLIT-A motherboard with NVidia GT218 GeForce 8400 GS
We had two hardware issues. One instance was with NVidia drivers.
Because of various incompatibility issues, we reverted the Panasonic Toughbook to the original Windows 7 image, which I had saved. We then updated to Windows 10. We needed a Windows 10 system as a reference tool for when technicians help customers, who primarily use Windows 10.
In all I am pleased with the migration project. Migrating “only” seven systems in several months does not sound like much of an accomplishment. Important is we did not disrupt work flows. We moved slowly and methodically.