About 7 months ago I updated Conky from version 1.9 to 1.10. The 1.10 series introduced a shift to using LUA. Since that time Conky displays on all of my computers flicker. Try as I might with various solutions and ideas found on the web, I could not stop the flickering.
The flickering is distracting. To the point of almost feeling epileptic.
Another annoying issue with Conky is the CPU frequency often was incorrect. I could concurrently monitor the CPU frequency in a terminal and notice the incorrect Conky result.
After the dust settled with updating all computers to Slackware 14.2 64-bit, on a whim I built a conky 1.9 package.
From my backups I pulled 1.9 conky config files and replaced the 1.10 config files.
No more flickering. The CPU frequency is correct.
Bye-bye Conky 1.10.
Little things. Paper cuts. Broken software. Quality control often fails with free/libre software because developers treat the software as their personal playground. Each new passing fad is the latest development craze. Developers play the role of Dr. Frankenstein and users suffer.
Often these small failures dampen enthusiasm about free/libre software. People want to use their computers as a useful tool. They do not want to be beta testers.