Hardware Tech Reviews
Considering the madness of online tracking and the nightmare of the Internet of Things, I would like to see all writers who review computer based devices include security checks.
- Does the device firmware require registering the product?
- Does the device phone home after registering?
- Does the device phone home in any way or manner?
- Does the device require using the vendor’s cloud servers?
- What ports are open in a default configuration?
- Does the device check for firmware updates?
- Can auto-updates be disabled?
- Can updates be performed manually?
- Does the firmware require users to change the default login name and password?
- Can the default login name and password be changed?
- Are login names and passwords hard-coded and unchangeable?
- Is there a convenient web interface?