My Ideal Distro
From the perspective of non technical users, of course.
- Package management is a full GUI experience.
- System releases are about every 3 years.
- Updating system releases is a full GUI experience.
- The system is designed in a way that base system packages remain untouched except for security and bug fixes while user land apps are updated more frequently.
- Update notifiers can be configured to allow quiet updates of at least security patches.
- A large repository selection focused on non enterprise users.
- Developers actively engage non technical users in usability testing.
- Developers do not depend upon non technical users using a terminal.
- A GUI wrapper to the inxi tool.
- GUI tools to manage system services, firewall, system date and time, and bluetooth.
A common package management system among all distros would be nice.